Lagos collapsed school: Only 20 victims rescued so far
The Lagos government says 20 victims of the collapsed school building located at Itafaji in Lagos Island, are receiving treatment in some hospitals in the state.
Dr Titilayo Goncalves, the permanent secretary, Lagos state ministry of health, made the disclosure at a media briefing at the hospital on Wednesday, March 13.
Goncalves said that some of the victims had been transferred to other hospitals for further treatment.
She said that the hospital had earlier created a centre where all patients were taken to and given emergency care.
According to her, once the patients had been stabilised, they were moved to tertiary hospitals including the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja, and Gbagada General Hospital.
“So far, we have received about 20 casualties; five have been transferred to LASUTH; three of them to Gbagada General Hospital and some to Onikan General Hospital.
“Some people are still being brought out from the rubble,” she said.
The permanent secretary assured parents and guardians of the victims that members of the medical team were on top of the situation.
“People should keep calm and be sure that the very best of service is being provided for all the victims brought out alive,” she said.
Meanwhile, the deputy speaker of the Lagos state House of Assembly, Mr Wasiu Esinlokun, visited the scene of the incident and revealed that a notice for demolition was served on the building on Tuesday, March 11, a day before the building collapsed.
Esinlokun, while speaking with journalists said that the Lagos state government would ensure that victims of the incident are treated free.