Polls postponement: We’ll no longer allow Nigerians to be fooled again – Ortom
Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue has expressed disappointment over the postponement of the presidential and National Assembly elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Ortom expressed the disappointment while speaking with journalists in Makurdi on Saturday, February 16. He said he regretted INEC’s alleged disregard for the suffering of the masses as occasioned by the postponement, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
He said that voters living outside their voting areas had already travelled far and wide to exercise their franchise. “We will no longer allow the will of the people to be truncated,” Ortom said.
Also reacting, the Benue coordinator of the Coalition of Civil Society Organization (CCSO) Josephine Habba also expressed disappointment over the development.
Habba said many Nigerians including him had already trooped out early hours of Saturday before they heard of the elections’ postponement.
Meanwhile, we reported that Atiku Abubakar, the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, had alleged that the postponement of the general election by Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is “obviously a case of the hand of Esau but the voice of Jacob.”
In a statement released in the early hours of Saturday, February 16, Atiku blamed the postponement of the elections on the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration, saying the government had “more than enough time and money to prepare”.